יום ראשון, אוגוסט 06, 2006

Truth in Time of War

The last two posts are excerpts from a community discussion board in which I am a member. My last post was not published and I was given these reasons:

Is there some way you can make your point without making statements about the people on the other side? For example, instead of saying "What I think is that all these people did never bother to actually read all the aforementioned texts in any depth and try to understand what those texts say," you might say "I disagree with these people," and go on to make your point.Similarly, you might avoid a statement such as: "one day, only one day, instead of reading the newspaper, try to dwell into the aforementioned texts and believe in them (for only that one day) as much as you believe the New York Times (or whatever)."

There were other points which I accepted anyway and are less relevant.

To that I answered initially:

Some of my flowery language could certainly be contained... However, I have a problem with one issue that you have raised. How could I make a point that people do not bother to read a specific text in depth without saying that they, mmmm, do not read the said text in any depth? Or how could I persuade people to read those same texts and believe in them literally, without asking them to read those texts and believe in them literally?I may avoid referring to specific people, I may avoid implying that people in the other side are not wise, etc. etc., but I need to make the point and THIS IS MAY MAIN POINT, that we should read those texts, believe in them literally and act upon that belief.

But then I spoke with my dear friend Fred and he explained to me why people may be insulted when I imply that their belief might not be full and their reading of the texts is not deep, etc. All this was fine and I accepted it (at least for the practical reason that I wanted the piece published.) But then we got to the point about asking the people to dwell one day (only) in those old texts and see them as if they were relevant to today, his reaction surprised me. He claimed that in time of war, I should concentrate in helping the people and their government and army rather then point what is the problem and how it should be fixed.
Several days ago I saw a bumper sticker that claimed that "dissenting is the highest form of patriotism." I hold that to be true therefore I dissent and I believe that by doing so I am giving the best service to the Jewish people. I have a great teacher, the prophet Jeremiah, who dissented before the war of his time and dissented throughout that war, telling the people what was wrong and advising whoever wanted or did not want to listen what should be done. I am not a prophet and I do not come even close to the toes of Jeremiah, but I dissent and I ask everybody to read him and what he had said then. I believe that what he had said is relevant letter to letter to today's situation and his advice should be followed.