יום שני, דצמבר 25, 2006

My corrected stand on coincidences

I did write some things in the past that I should not have. I attributed specific occurences to specific sins without any knowledge that this is indeed the case. I would like to clarify my stand on coincidences.

Let's concentrate please on two keywords "coincidence" and "BeHukosai".

Many words have been written by great Rabbis and Sages throughout the generations about whether there is any coincidence in the world or every occurrence is immediately directed by G-od. Since all these Rabbis were and are by far wiser then me, I would readily concede here that most occurrences in the world, at least appear to be of coincidental character and none of us have any power to claim or prove otherwise. Any attempt on my side to derive any meaning out of these occurrences and attribute them to any specific deed would make me into a fool.
Now, let's examine the other keyword, BeHukosai. BeHukosai is a portion in the Torah. As such, Orthodox Jews are obliged to believe that it spake the truth. BeHukosai prophesizes specifically about a certain class of occurrences that are defined by two specific characteristics:
a. These occurrences pertain to (and only to) the economical, political and military situation of the Jewish people.
b. They follow a specific pattern in which The Jews would attribute those occurrences to coincidences and as a result even more horrible occurrences will come.
I retract and (hopefully) would never try to attribute any meaning to any occurrence in the world outside of the narrow definition of BeHukosai. On The other hand, while I may be incorrect in reading the weakening of the Jewish people's political and military situation, at least some cautious seems to be warranted, and at least in the Orthodox camp.